Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pan de Siabata (Ciabatta Bread)


When I first came to Peru I was overwhelmed by the number of Panaderias (bakeries) and completely underwhelmed with the quality of the bread here. All of the bread I tried, although cheap, was dry, tough, and stale within a day. There are many kinds of bread you can actually get at bodegas, 6 for 1 nuevo sol (about 40 cents). They have trigo, pan de tres puntas (a specialty of Arequipa) and a couple other kinds. I was pretty disappointed until I realized that the closest bodega to my apt (1 block away) has ciabatta bread for the same price. Oh man, the comparison isn't even close.


This bread has completely changed my diet. I probably eat too much bread now: with eggs, pretty serious sandwiches for lunch, with soup for dinner... but it's so damn good and so cheap. I'm obsessed. I found out from my bodega lady, Karina, that they get it delivered to them at 6:30AM so when I have time (and when I'm running low) I stop in at the bodega at 6:45AM on my walk to work.

Breakfast of champions! Alex made me this egg sandwich with cheese and chorizo!
Peruvian hot dog. Onions, garlic, and cheese on top of french fries and avocado
Put some starch on that starch. Fried rice with egg, cheese and chorizo
Delicious and cheap chicken patties with cheese, onions, avocado and fresh made spicy french fries
Leftovers from taco night

No comments:

Post a Comment