Sunday, April 26, 2015

Nha Trang, Vietnam


If the low key beach of Mui Ne was too boring for you, the urban sprawl of Nha Trang may better suit your energy. It's easier to find hostels and street food so there are some upsides. The downside is it's a much more common beach destination, especially with Russians, with massive, tall resorts. There are many places that have menus in Russian but not English. This was a strange experience, however, there are plenty of places for everyone to eat. 

I arrived at 6:30 PM and Alex had enough time before her bus to Hoi An to get dinner. We went to a vegetarian place and said our goodbyes. We'd be traveling solo for the next two weeks until we meet up in Hanoi. 

I checked into iHome hostel in a great location. No one was around so I walked down to the beach to explore. While sitting and admiring the view I met a Vietnamese college student, Thout, who wanted to practice his English. I obliged. After talking a while I asked if I could buy him a beer. He politely declined. I was very thirsty and didn't want to be rude so I offered to buy him a fruit smoothie. He accepted and brought me to an outdoor stand across the street where his sister made us two delicious smoothies from what looked like a a basketball sized mango. Afterwards, Thout took me around on his motorbike in search of food. He ended up dropping me off right at a dumpling stand a block from my hostel. Good things can happen when you open up and give people a chance.

A walk to the beach in Nha Trang, Vietnam
The Beach at Nha Trang, Vietnam
The following morning, while eating breakfast, I met a Finnish girl, Anna, who was trying to pawn off her white bread toast. We got to talking about being open to new experiences, opportunities and people while traveling. We get so accustomed to saying "no thank you" to anyone holding a flyer or saying "excuse me, sir." I told her about Thout and Anna told me about how she hired a motorbike tour guide who took her and her friend around Southern Vietnam for three days. She said it exceeded any and all expectations. I had heard people did this and I was intrigued. 

We made plans to meet up after I switched hostels. I had a booking at Mojzo Inn which was rated by hostelworld as the best hostel in Asia this year. I had to see what it was all about. They were all booked the night before for my last minute early arrival to Nha Trang. 

The staff at Mojzo is like nothing else. They are pros. The girls remember everyone's name and what their plans were that day. So when you return they ask you "how was_____ today?" It's a big and always packed place so it was impressive. The rooms were also super clean and well set up, leaving everyone staying there in good moods. It was this environment where I met Ray and Alice whom I shared a room with. They were super cool, laid back and down for whatever.


I secured my valuables and headed to the beach. However, on the way I was distracted by a Vietnamese man on the corner who said "hello, handsome man!" He got my vain and delusional attention. He approached me and said he was a motorbike tour guide and asked if I wanted to see rural Vietnam. In fact I did but I told him I think it's out of my budget so I don't want to waste his time. His name was Mr. Bang and he was a character and a great salesman. He said he didn't mind just talking. We ended up talking for over an hour about how I feel in Vietnam as an American and about how my father was here during the war and I want learn more about it. He told me how he had two uncles who fought for the South and how he sees Americans as friends. He also told me that the ideal tour to Hoi An (my next destination) would go trough the central highlands full of battlefields and Pleiku, were my father was stationed. Mr. Bang was very knowledgeable, funny and understanding. We negotiated a good price and that night I emailed him to confirm after changing a couple hostel reservations and selling my bus ticket.

Then there's this guy 
The best sunscreen there is
After my new plans were set up, I went with Ray to iHome to meet Anna and her friend for a beer on the roof. The next day we met up on the beach. Ray tried being modest about his frisbee game but that guy can chuck. I've been carrying around that frisbee for seven weeks and finally, someone who wants to throw. That night Alice and I walked around eating street food and then we all just chilled in our six person dorm room talking while I anxiously packed for my motorbike tour beginning the next morning. 

Next stop, the Central Highlands via motorcycle with Mr. Bang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment