Friday, April 10, 2015

Koh Rong and Koh Ta Kiev, Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Koh Rong, Cambodia
On our last day together Alex, Christina, and myself headed on a day trip to Koh Rong. The slow ferry is 2 hours and $5 each way. It leaves Sihanoukville at 9 AM. There is a speed boat ferry for $10 each way that takes about 40 minutes. We didn't do the necessary research on the island but we just wanted to go. Apparently, the place to see on Koh Rong is Long Beach. This is a massive, temporarily undeveloped section of beach that is a 40 minute hike through the jungle. This place is full of campers and partiers. From what I have heard, it is an amazing time. Also, from what I've heard is that there is construction beginning there, so the oasis won't last much longer. In addition to that, the campers and partiers have apparently left the beach a filthy mess of trash (which is a bummer). Maybe once it is developed, they will figure out how to properly dispose of trash. I noticed a lot of trash and construction on Koh Rong in general, which are two things that hamper any island buzz.

Our 2 hour ferry to Koh Rong
This guy was cooling off with a swim in his boxers. He's a little shy. 
Lang ho! Koh Rong, Cambodia
The island apparently has 40-something kilometers of beaches out of a 60-something kilometer total coastline. Beaches on Koh Rong are not hard to find. We took a left off the pier and walked for about 15 minutes until we found an amazing cove. We camped out here for a few hours and then took the 3 PM ferry home. I was tempted to stay the night and hike to Long Beach but I wanted to head back with the girls and see them off on their night bus to Siem Reap. 





A couple of days later, I decided to spend a night on Koh Ta Kiev. I heard it was like being on a deserted island if you stay at the Last Point. I booked a $5 dorm and the boat picked me up from Seagarden at 11:30 AM.

my bed at the Last Point in Koh Ta Kiev
The Last Point on Koh Ta Kiev Island, Cambodia 
My dorm on Koh Ta Kiev Island, Cambodia
This path leads to the other side of the island where there is an Absinth distillery. 


The brick oven pizza at the bar/restaurant was not even kidding, some of the best pizza I've ever had.  
Map of the island
Jack fruits! 

The Last Point is away from the tourist side of the island and it is completely peaceful. They have a shaded and magnificently designed bar/restaurant/common area with hammocks, music, cheap beer and amazing pizza. If you find yourself in Sihanoukville and you want a relaxing island experience on a budget, the Last Point is the place.

Our captains taking us from Koh Ta Kiev, back to Otres Beach. 
Hammocks!
If you have the money, I heard the best and most secluded beaches are to be found at Koh Rong Samleom. You can stay in boutique yet rustic bungalows or I hear you can camp as well if you can get yourself there. If you just want to party and don't mind roughing it, I think Long Beach on Koh Rong is koh right for you. Either way, do yourself a favor and schedule some time to get off the mainland. I wanted to spend more time on the islands, but I had heard great things about the river village Kampot so I wanted to spend a few days checking that out before heading to Siem Reap myself. 

Next stop, Kampot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment