Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween

It turns out that Peruvians celebrate Halloween and we were all about it this year. We hesitated for a second about it and then jumped in head first with costumes, loud music, and the right attitudes.

Alex and I moved into a new apartment this past week with our friend Ren and a lively and sweet Peruvian, Karina. Our friend Sam also lives upstairs. Yes, I am the only dude. No, I have not gone completely crazy being in an apt with 3 spanish speaking women. In fact, I'm loving it so far. We have a great vibe, with a steady flow of laughter, great food and music. I have to say, this house has already improved my spanish in less than one week. Karina taught me "no me friegues" which is an aggressive "don't mess with me" if push comes to shove. Or at least it's hilarious to throw in where it may not exactly apply. 

We broke in our new digs and friendships with a pre-game dance party where the Bernie was featured consistently throughout the evening. Here are some pictures of us getting ready to go out on the town.
Meow 
Brandon wasn't getting away without a costume
Phelps signing autographs in his wetsuit, obviously.
Ladies of Mamakuy!
"No me friegues"



Our roommate Karina and Sam (who currently and conveniently lives upstairs)

I'll post more about our new setup and teaching soon. To hear more about our new apartment and our roommates, check out Ren's blog: http://wildkite.blogspot.com/2012/11/shadow-walking-1-month-in-arequipa_3.html . She just posted a well written synopsis of life here so far with some great pics! 

As I was working on this post, I saw a beautiful display of fireworks from Plaza Yanahuara that filled up our living room window for a few minutes. This so far happens a few times a week and I couldn't love it any more. We are 1 block from the Plaza, where they are now currently playing a live amplified version of La Bamba (at 12:51 AM). Cliche, yet so awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment