Saturday, June 6, 2015

Vientiane, Laos

I gotta admit, I was not looking forward to stopping in Vientiane but it served to break up our trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand, which was our next destination. Everyone I talked to who went to Vientiane said it wasn't worth the stop as its a city without much to see or do. The one thing that seems worth it (that we didn't get to) is the Buddha Park. It's simply a park full of stone Buddha statues an hour or so outside of town.

We found a suitable guesthouse and went to the bus station to inquire about tickets to Udon Thani, Thailand, where we would then catch an overnight bus to Chiang Mai. They only sell tickets the day of so we'd have to go back the following morning to get tickets for 90 baht (our guesthouse was selling them for 250). 

We went on a wild goose chase searching for a fancy my facility for Alex to use. We failed. My sandals were hurting my feet so I head back while Alex continued to sightsee. However, I got horribly lost without a map and Alex ended up beating me home.

That night we met Alex's friend at the night market whom she met while volunteer teaching in Hanoi. We found some pad Thai and walked around for a bit. I bought a beer Lao t-shirt like a tourist.

The following day we geared up for a 19 hour trip to Chiang Mai.

Next stop, Chiang Mai!

No comments:

Post a Comment